Monday, 11 August, 2003

Last week, the four of us were driving home from Walmart and Chris was asking Amy when her birthday was.  She said she couldn’t remember and so Chris tried prompting her by saying “It is close to...?”  She thought for a couple seconds and then said, “Mexico!”  I didn’t even know she knew the word.

Misha doesn’t seem to have any aversion to bugs, in fact, she likes to squish them with her fingers.  Once they are sufficiently squished, she hands them to me to take care of.  I don’t quite know what I am supposed to do with them.

Chris’ Grandma Greve died on Wednesday July 30.  It was a sad moment for his mom and family to have her leave, but a relief that she would no longer have such suffering and pain in her life.  For the past couple of months, she has been falling quite often and breaking bones.  I guess she was in some serious accidents when she was younger and never really recovered from those and had pain that lingered until now.

Chris flew out on Friday the 8th to attend a memorial service.  She had been cremated about a week previous, shortly after her death, and both she and her husband were inurned at a military cemetery in Portland.  Chris said that it was quite touching and was grateful that he was able to be there.  (I am not sure where Grandpa Greve’s ashes were kept for the past seven or eight years.)

On Saturday morning, all endowed members in Chris’ family went to the temple with Lori as she received her endowments in preparation for her mission in a month. 

Chris attended church with his parents and then flew home Sunday afternoon and arrived home shortly after we came home from church.  Amy was sooooo disappointed that he wasn’t already here when we arrived but Chris’ drive home took a little longer than usual.

Misha is starting to the use the potty.  On the 30th she peed a few drops in the little potty, and then did some more the next day.  Last night as I was getting the girls ready for bed, I took off Misha’s diaper and she wanted to go potty before I put her nighttime diaper on.  She was in the bathroom playing with the nightlight while I helped Amy get her jammies on when I suddenly heard her peeing in the potty.  She had sat down and gone all by herself.  We were all thrilled and surprised.  Then again this morning, she peed a little bit in her little potty and from past experience, I knew there was plenty more to come.  I put her on the big potty while I started laundry and all of a sudden I heard her peeing again.  We try to make a big deal of it and give her treats every time she pees.  It would be so wonderful to have both of them potty trained.  She seems to be ready and once you take her diaper off, she doesn’t want to have anything to do with it going back on.


The girls just finished their swimming lessons for the summer.  The pool closes next week until January for a complete overhaul so they won’t have as many opportunities to practice what they learned.  They both did quite well.  Misha learned a few of the skills but wasn’t about to put her face in the water and blow bubbles.  Her confidence in the pool has grown tremendously and with her floatie swimming suit, she just motors around on her own.  Amy loved the lessons and learned many of the skills.  She floats on her back on her own, puts her face in the water and even jumps off the diving board if someone is close by.  When she is not in swim lessons, she wears a life jacket and is pretty confident about swimming and jumping in on her own.  I am glad that we signed them up.  For the fall, I am looking for a dance or gymnastics class to get them into.





No comments: